We are living in a wilderness.
Times are tough. Daily life can become a slog, if we let it.
Maybe you feel alone. You yearn to be heard and understood. Maybe you feel like you’re fighting for survival. Maybe you’re simply fighting for a good night’s sleep (just me?). No matter how you slice it, your stale approach to self-care isn’t working anymore.
Because all the bubble baths in the world can’t wash away what’s internally misaligned.
- If what you really want — and how you really want to spend your time — keeps getting scuttled off your to do list….
- If you are crumbling inside a prison of expectations that looks great from the outside (but feels terrible)…
- If you avoid the big steps you know you need to take, in exchange for short-term comfort…
- If the self-care practices that used to light you up feel like empty gestures…
- If your passport, running shoes, meditation cushion, good dishware, National Parks pass, and/or massage therapist’s phone number are gathering dust…
This is for you.
Audre Lorde once said that self-care is an act of political warfare. I dare us to make our healing radical again; that is, it needs to the root of the issue. It’s time to take courageous action on your own behalf.
Most of all, stop waiting.
- Tackle those bills, dentist appointments, phone calls and/or awkward conversations you’ve been avoiding for way too long.
- Say what you really think and ask for what you really need: at work, on social media, in your creative work, in your relationships.
- Dare to evolve the things in your lineage and life that are no longer serving you, but that you’ve been putting up with because that seemed easier.
- Offer your whole self honest-to-god compassion and nourishment rather than punitive words or actions that reinforce your lack. Even those parts of you that seem less-than-lovable.
With this potent, three-week course, you’ll learn to:
- Use declarative sentences to elegantly state your needs, desires, and boundaries, without apology.
- Memorize the feeling of personal integrity and rightful (for you) action—so you can courageously do more of that. Even if you’re afraid it looks dorky.
- Evolve your daily habits to create internal alignment that reflects your awesome values and value.
- Dress yourself in your grown-up pants so you can take meaningful action, even toward those things you’ve secretly been avoiding.
- Resource yourself so that you chase what you want with fervor.
- Stand in your power and self-knowledge even when you’re unsure, even when things are unclear, and even when life is being a total bear.
After working with thousands of change-makers (as a facilitator, trainer, healer, and self-care mentor) over the last fifteen years, I know that self-care is essential to showing up wholeheartedly.
What I also know is that for many, it’s still a struggle to make it happen. Even for those devoted to service—fierce activists, and powerful healers like you—
There’s still a gap between
how you show up for your work
and how you show up for yourself.
(That’s why I created The Art of Self-Advocacy.)
Why study with me? First of all, I’m an actual riot.
I’m Christy Tending. I created this site, and I’ve spent the last eighteen years shaking systems to their core and trying to build a more compassionate world.
The Art of Self-Advocacy was forged in the embers of my life practice.
I know firsthand how critical it is that we nurture ourselves well if we want to change the world for the better.
My passion for fighting injustice came naturally to me. Give me a cause, and I’ll happily chain myself to a tree for it. But in my twenties, it nearly consumed me: health, sense of self, and all.
Becoming a climate justice and human rights activist? Piece of cake.
Learning to advocate for myself? That was much more difficult.
What I know now is that all the self-care in the world won’t solve what’s internally misaligned. There are limits to what we can accomplish in our lives, our work, and our healing if we can’t take a stand for ourselves.
So, what’s included?
The Art of Self-Advocacy is a three-week program that helps you elevate and evolve your personal practice from care to advocacy. The Art of Self-Advocacy offers lessons, practices, and strategies to help you develop insight, gather courage, and take action—on your own behalf.
How it works:
As soon as you sign up, you’ll receive the Welcome Module, to help ground you and put this work into context.
The course begins Monday, May 6th and concludes Sunday, May 26th.
Each Monday, you’ll receive that week’s course module. At the end of the course, you’ll receive all the materials, including all call recordings.
Each module includes:
- Video lesson introducing the building blocks and tools to practice self-advocacy as an art.
- Beautiful, printable pdf workbooks with thoughtful prompts for self-discovery and cultivating self-advocacy.
- Two audio meditations to incorporate these lessons on a deeper level.
- Live video calls, held each Wednesday at 12pm Pacific via Zoom.
- The Art of Self-Advocacy Spotify playlist to get you in the zone.
- (New!) The Guide to Clear Energetic Boundaries.
- (New!) The Guide to Elegant Communication.
- Pretty desktop wallpapers (for desktop + iPhone) to keep your commitment to self-advocacy front and center.
The Art of Self-Advocacy is designed to help you:
- Cultivate fierce compassion for yourself.
- Courageously pursue a life that feels purposeful and sacred.
- Push past the internal narratives and barriers that have kept you small and suffering.
- Put language to your needs and longings (so you can get them met).
- Step into your new role as your own best confidant, accomplice and advocate.
- Let go of the habits that have been sucking your lifeforce—and cultivate practices that will nourish you the way you need to be nourished.
(Fair warning: you’re going to laugh a lot along the way. We do both hilarity and devotion here.)
What people are saying:
“I wanted to let you know this work informed how I approached [a difficult] week. I feel it was so meaningful to have this in my hands over the past few days. I wanted to be able to speak on what was going on [in the world] in the past few days and be educated. I referred back to your work to stay sane. Self-advocacy echoed in my head all week. I love you and love this work. Thank you.” —Louise Warren, Life Coach & Singer/Songwriter, www.RareGem.org
“Fantastic! My tummy was all a jitter reading these words. Something was awakening in me. Profoundly scary shit whilst being so relevant and brutal in its truth. Impossible to ignore and impossible to now live without.”
—Colleen Donaldson, South Africa
“Once I completed this first module, I noticed it’s a pretty hard hitting, eye-opening, life changing exercise that gets straight to the point. I love your delivery…it’s so effective yet gentle at the same time. All of this work is changing my whole existence. This work has given me the ability to go so much deeper and it’s what is making this lasting change.” —Susan Clements, Kula, Hawaii
Need more info? Here are a few more nuts and bolts:
Who this is for? Rebellious humans who already believe in (or have a) self-care practice, but struggle to implement it. People who advocate for others easily and want to learn to do the same for themselves.
Who are these “rebellious people” you speak of? I work with people of all genders from all over the world, but I especially love working with activists, artists, therapists, teachers, nurses, healers, coaches, parents, and spiritual teachers. Bonus points if you’re interested in feminism, racial justice, anti-capitalism, and/or climate justice.
What do I need to do this course? An email account and a computer or phone. A journal + pen. An internet connection. Optional: headphones for listening to the meditations; a printer to create a hard-copy of the workbooks.
How long do I have access to the materials?: You have access to the materials in the program for life as well as new materials added in the future. All of the Q + A calls will be recorded, in case you cannot attend live.
Refunds/Cancellations: Due to the digital nature of this product, I respectfully do not offer refunds or cancellations for any reason. Part of becoming an awesome self-advocate is learning to honor your commitments (and their impacts). What I do guarantee is that you’ll get the very best of my teaching. If you need more information, please zip me an email at